My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
Hey there!, welcome to my blog and thanks for reading my random rambles. I'm a professional makeup artist in all areas of Beauty, Fashion, Film/Television and Bridal. I'm known for my professionalism, personality and something random in my hair. I grew up in the caribbean in Antigua such a beautiful place. Glitter queen, cake lover and shoe addict. My posts will give you some more insight into the creative quirky mind that I have.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Ask SAJ: Acne Treatment





Kelly F. Asks:
"Hey SAJ, 

What do you recommend to be used for acne and their left behind scars? What do you use?"


Hi Kelly!


As someone who has gone through ( and still do at times) acne and skin issues I can totally relate!

I do have to say that I am NOT a skin care expert and I highly recommend that you visit a dermatologist for treatment.


With that said, I can make some recommendations of basic skin care that should always be followed.

To begin it's easier if we understand exactly what "Acne" is, and how its caused. 



Commonly known as Whiteheads and Blackheads. 


A Blackhead appears when sebum and dead skin cells clog the pore. While the pore is clogged, it's surface remains open. This lets us look into the pore and see a black color.


A Whitehead forms when the excess oil and dead skin cells clog the pore and block the opening of the pore. The more painful Whiteheads are called Cystic Acne and are caused when bacteria joins in the mix of oil blockage making the area inflamed.

Now that the basics are out, the most common "ingredients" for acne is oil, dead skin cells and bacteria so naturally to prevent or treat, these must be dealt with.

Here's How:

-Cleanse your Face: It sounds like an obvious statement but many girls don't cleanse properly. There are many product systems on the market today with a version for each skin type, take time out to look through and pick a product.

For acne treatments, over the counter products with salicylic acid are most common as this works well unclogging the pores, particularly for blackheads.

-Toner: A toner is often a skipped step in skin care and it's one of the most important and not to mention refreshing! This helps to clean up what was left behind after washing your face. Don't believe me? Look at your cotton pad after..there's the proof! A toner like Witch Hazel is great for battling bacteria and oil, the smell isn't the best, but it's worth it.



-Moisturizer: Absolutely important and also skipped way to often, even if your skin is "oily" you need need need a moisturizer, quite a few are also made with acne based treatments.


-Exfoliate: Usually a once a week treatment, with products in the form of pads and creams this helps to remove the dead skin cells that lay on your skin causing pores to clog.

-Masques: Another once a week treatment to deep clean your pores, these products come based on your skin type and needs. Personally I use clay based masques as I have super oily skin and this helps to unclog my pores and close them.

To compliment your cleansing routine drink lots of water and take vitamins to help replenish your skin, change your sheets especially your pillow case often.



Finally, the issue with scars, I know I should say "don't pick", so...Don't Pick!!!! but who really wants to walk around with that giant zit on your forehead right? 


If I do cave and "pick" I wrap my fingers with damn tissue, then clean with my toner. After I dab a bit of Neosporin to the area which helps kill the bacteria as its an anti-bacterial and reduces scaring.


For older scars Mederma is a great product, and also there are quite a few facial peels on the market which will help. Fresh Lemon Juice mixed with brown sugar as a mask is also great for scar lightening ( this works great on elbows and knees too!)


I have to warn you, none of these are quick fixes, but stick with it and over time you will see a difference  AND preventing future breakouts.


Hope this helps Kelly!
xx







_________________________________________________________________
Do you have a makeup and beauty related question that you'd like Saj to answer?
 Email your questions to asksaj@gmail.com for expert advice! 
Questions will be answered every Friday at 2:00pm


Saj Mack is a Professional Makeup Artist in Atlanta Georgia providing over 6 years experience in Beauty, Commercial, Film, Television, Special FX and more. See her work at www.makeupbysaj.com

2 comments: